Start a new topic

Best Practices for Moving Files

Many enterprises need to move files to an alternate location as soon as they arrive on the server. To make this process more efficient, create a Move Files event and employ a batch script.

However, there are considerations for using this method. Depending on your organization's needs and hardware resources, you may need to balance your configuration to use resources carefully.

1. Batches or scripts which spawn large numbers of files, or many very large files, can consume all available resources and cause server slow-downs. 
  2. "Wait for script to complete before continuing" will stop multiple scripts from running in tandem and absorbing all available resources. If scripts take a long time to run, you may see a backlog of scripts that still need to run, and your resources will be tied up until all scripts have executed. Set a limit to the time scripts can take to run to keep this to a reasonable limit.
  3. Set the "Abort scripts that run too long" to a long timeout, to keep from interrupting important transfers. Aborting scripts will stop the process completely and result in an incomplete/failed move. The best case scenario is to compromise on a length of time before a script is aborted to allow new batches to run, without cancelling vital transfers on a regular basis.
  4. Using a third party service to move files adds the burden of launching an extra service, which will also extend the time it takes for scripts to run. For a simple move action, this is likely unnecessary. If possible, use the DOS Move action for a more efficient method of moving files rather than a third party application like RoboCopy.
  5. Bear in mind that if Cornerstone/Titan launches a third party service, the action will appear under the context of the Cornerstone/Titan service, even though Cornerstone/Titan did not perform the action. Therefore, if an action fires several batch files in rapid succession, spawning many instances of another program, this will consume a great deal of memory, which will be attributed to Cornerstone/Titan, though the third party program is actually using the memory.

1 person has this question
1 Comment

i will move only the ms sql database (it is only one freeware "MS SQL Express 2009), but i will move it to one another server (that have licensed MS SQL enterprise database environment). The application, and the ftp shared folders will be rested on original server.

How can i complete it?

i have one step-by step scenario, but i dont know, that is it god or not:

Version is as follows: Cornerstone MFT 64 bit (on windows 2012 server) Version 10.41 Build 1833

STEP1 create snapshot from appserver
STEP2 stop application on cornerstone appserver
STEP3  Perform Full Backup from local MSSQL database on original appserver.
save this db-backup, move it into remote new database server.

STEP4  Steps to uninstall/apply  the Software Corenerstone on application server
STEP5  Reboot system on application server
STEP6  Perform Restore the moved MSSQL database on remote database server (new database server)

STEP7  Steps to install/apply  the Software Corenerstone
step by step installation wizard with remote database settings

STEP8 Reboot system on app. server
STEP09  Start new installed Cornerstone software on original  application-server with remote database-connection.
STEP10  Fulltest with user

Please let me know, that it works or not...

Thank You

Best Regards

Login or Signup to post a comment
© 2016 South River Technologies®, Inc. - All Rights Reserved